Arctic Watch serves as a receiver and disseminator of safety and environmental data to and from vessels, communities, the U.S. Coast Guard, and other agencies to minimize the risk of accidents and environmental harm. Shared information includes, but is not limited to:
- Environmentally sensitive areas that should be avoided
- Weather and ice conditions
- Regional subsistence activities that vessels should avoid
- Vessels in need of assistance
- Safety alerts from the U.S. Coast Guard and other agencies
Current alerts and notices
- July 23, 2023: Community of Wainwright has reported local whaling parties are operating in 10-30 miles due west of Wainwright. Mariners are urged to maintain a good lookout and provide at least 2 mile buffer from any activity.